Saturday, October 24, 2009

Yesterday was a mentally and physically exhausting day for a myriad of reasons which I won't go into at the moment. The next few days have the possibility of being equally exhausting...but for now I'll revel in the soothing sound of my dishwasher running on a lazy saturday while Andy still sleeps in the other room.


I wanted to follow up on a few things...

My apple pie turned out unbelievably good! The crust was golden and flaky, the apple's were just sweet enough without tasting overly sugary. Andy enjoyed several pieces and the rest went to my work. They loved it! In 3 hours the pie I brought had been eaten up. Praises ensued and I felt relived! I did it! I made a delicious apple pie! So if you ever need an apple pie made, let me know and I'll teach you...

Yesterday, part of what made the day exhausting, was that my work had a big celebration for their 35th anniversary. It was a tailgating theme (appropriate on a university campus!) and everything was outside. I had somehow managed to be on the planning committee which of course meant I had to help set up and decorate. That was fun, but I also was a contestant in the chili cookoff.

I've never made chili before, but I thought - how hard can this really be? - so I went for it. I called mine the "Picky Eater's Chili" since I don't like beans and onions and large chunks of tomatoes (which are typical in most chili's). I'm proud to say I won "Most Aromatic" and received a gift card to the local mall! Yay! My first attempt resulted in a prize-winning chili :)

Here's the recipe for "The Picky Eater's Chili":

1 1/2 -2 lbs of ground beef, browned
1/2 a package of polish kilbasa
1 can corn
1 1/2 cans beef broth
1 large can of pureed tomatoes
1 can chili tomatoes
Several teaspoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon course ground pepper

Dump it all in a crockpot and let it cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for about 8 hrs.
Really good with cheese on top.

Try it and let me know what you think!!

0 comments: