My heart is broken today. I've been trying to keep up with the news without becoming consumed by it. But in watching the news, I can't keep from being consumed - by sympathy and love.
I watched today (didn't realize how intense it would be) a video of government "police" in Bahrain shoot protestors at point blank range with rifles. I saw a guy shot in the head while he was begging for mercy. I've seen, along with the rest of the world, the videos of the destruction in Japan and I've followed the threat of nuclear meltdowns. I've read of Israel shooting at men trying to smuggle in weapons from Iran into Gaza. [Pray for peace in Jersualem. May all who love this city prosper. Ps 122:6 - do you love these people?] I've read and watched some interviews with Rob Bell as he seems to be denying the truth of salvation through Jesus Christ alone without coming out and being so blunt. Closer to home I heard on the radio of 6 teenagers who in 2 separate car accidents lost their lives in the past 3 days in the city. I see our students that Andy and I interact with weekly suffer in dysfunctional homes and carry burdens far too big for their small shoulders. And my heart is consumed. I am consumed with compassion and love and sympathy. I am overwhelmed at the condition of this world and humanity.
But praise God, I have hope! And this hope is available to all!
"The Lord gives his people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace." (Ps 29:11)
"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and I will forgive their sin and I will heal their land." (2 Chron. 7:14)
Please join me in prayer:
- Pray for the newly orphaned and widowed in Japan ("Religion that God our Father accepts is as pure and faultless as this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress..." James 1:27)
- Pray for those who need the hope and salvation across the world
- Pray for the men and women standing up to the harsh goverments across the world even when their lives are at stake for seeking justice.
- Pray for Rob Bell and other men and women of influence in the Church to have the courage to be either hot or cold instead of taking people on a lukewarm ride
- Pray for the generations beneath us and yet to come - that they will have hope and that revival will break out
Above all, pray as the Lord leads but pray fervently. "The fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." James 5:16b
When hearts are breaking, He is the Healer. When grief overwhelms, He is the Lifter of our Heads.