Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Oh the Places You Go!

Tonight I said goodbye to one of our students. Kaila has known since sophomore year that she wanted to attend Norwich University in Vermont for college. (She wants to be a pediatric cardiac surgeon) Tomorrow she gets on a plane to go to Vermont to start college. She's living her dream! How exciting to see this girl we've known since February of her freshman year, grow in the Lord, develop her own identity, overcome major obstacles, and mature in a myriad of ways. But at the same time it's sad to see her go so far away after years of Starbucks, froyo, mentoring, accountability, etc. I can't wait to see how God continues to use her is big ways!!

Longevity has always been a matter of importance to Andy and I in student ministry. It's so amazing to see that God has granted that to us. It hasn't necessarily looked how we thought it might, but God has been so gracious to us and enabled us to see students grow from freshmen without a deep, growing relationship with the Lord into seniors who are achieving their dreams and growing in the Lord.

But as sad as these goodbyes are, Reed's first day of daycare is coming soon. Some may say this is also sad, but for me I'm excited! It's a time of so many "firsts" for Reed - and for me! Shot records, physical records, labeling everything, thinking about teacher gifts at the holidays, etc - all things that are new to me as I plan for this next stage of life. I hate the thought of going back to work. I can't imagine not being around Reed all the time, taking care of him, feeding him and meeting his needs. It's hard knowing a daycare teacher may see Reed's first rolling over, first crawl, etc. But I also am so excited for what this next stage is going to teach both of us.

So as I say goodbye to a dear student, I also say hello to new things with my precious son. Either way, I think this quote applies to both:


“And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!” 

1 comments:

Shannon said...

My favorite Dr. Seuss book. Always encouraging to me (I think it has something to do with the rhythm of the words;).