Today, I went to work. Things seemed normal until around noon-ish. Suddenly a loud siren (similar to Memphis tornado sirens) started going off. Then a large voice booming across campus from the outside in, started saying "Emergency alert. Gunman on campus. Please go inside and lock doors. Emergency alert." YIKES! I mean I know I work at a University and crazy things happen at schools, but really? In my second week there we're being put on lockdown for a gunman on campus!? Needless to say I was in shock for a bit, especially when the incident was taking place not that far from us. Lock down lasted 2 hours during which the following things occurred...
- staying away from windows
- seeing 4 sheriff and police helicopters (yes I know this contradicts with the point above)
- having said helicopters circle our building and surrounding parking lots continuously for 1.5 hours
- Not knowing for certain why the helicopters were hovering over your building and parking lots or if the gunman had moved from the original location
- Not getting any e-mail updates from USF
It's bizarre to me that I had to leave Memphis, one of the most dangerous cities, to be put on lockdown because of an alleged gunman. How was your Friday??