Tuesday, November 17, 2009

RoadKill and CrockPots


The other day I got in the mood to bake. I remembered that Candace told me about some peanut butter cookies that she liked to make around Thanksgiving. She would make the peanut butter cookies then, when they're fresh from the oven, you put in candy corn for the beak and the feathers, plus you can do an m&m for the eye. (Not quite like the picture above, but you get the idea.)


So I made my dough, rolled my cookies, and had my candy corn ready! Just like the recipe told me to do, I flattened my cookie balls with a fork to make the traditional criss cross pattern in the cookie...I didn't have any m&m's but that was fine. The cookies were amazing! They looked adorable! Well, until Andy said "They kind of look like roadkill with this pattern on here"
Looks like I now have a new Thanksgiving tradition - "Roadkill Cookies"
For another piece of cooking info, tomorrow my work is having their big "Fall Feast" and everyone is supposed to bring sides or dessert. Since I was told the dessert table is always overflowing, I decided to bring my grean bean casserole. However, I need to keep it hot, so I'm going to try it in the crock pot! I'm excited to see how it turns out...online it looks like the key is to use frozen green beans instead of canned and cook it on low for 4-6 hours.
In the meantime, I thought I'd share my Green Bean Casserole recipe (for the oven) with you...
2tbsp flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 cups canned green beans, drained
1 cup sour cream
crushed red pepper (to taste)
grated parmesan cheese
10-12 Club crackers, crushed
Combine the melted butter and flour and pour into a 9x13 pan. Add the green beans, sour cream, and pepper and mix all of it together in the pan. Sprinkle the cheese over the green bean mixture - use as much or as little as you want. Top with the crushed crackers.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes - until the crackers are turning golden and the mixture is bubbling.
Happy Tuesday!

0 comments: