Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Students Running to do some Baking...


OK.. so that's not what I'm talking about, but I will talk about Students, Running, and Baking...oh and sorry for missing my Ten Things Tuesday - it's been a doozy of a couple of weeks!


Our student ministry is a unique one. Out of between 20-25 students, we are currently having students struggling with self-harm, underage drinking, dysfunctional families, homosexuality, suicidal ideations, students having to help finacially support their family, students who don't drive even though they're 17 and 18 (i'm not saying don't have their own car...I'm saying don't even have a permit!) a student who's blind, a student who's got some serious behavioral and learning disabilities, etc. That being said, we also have students who are excited to be at church, who come as much as they can even though their parents don't care if they come, who are trying to do God's will, who are getting saved, who are sharing their testimony, who desire to do what's right!

Through our ministry, I have definitely been reminded of one undeniable thing... We, the church, must must must must must set up and take this younger generation under their wings. We must mentor the younger generation. We must set aside time and determine to lead and guide and encourage these kids who have no guidance from others in their lives. We must speak truth to them, and show them the love of Christ! Now is the time! We can't wait for others to step up - we, you and i, must guide and encourage these kids in the way they should go!

(sorry for the soap box, but my heart breaks for the pain these kids are going through!)

Running...I've been pretty consistent with running! Actually, I've been consistent with exercising and walking fast. Running just isn't something my body likes! Saturday I'm going to do 8 miles, and then the following Saturday is my 15k...9.3ish miles! WOW! I'm very excited about this 15k...it's an all women's race and the goodie bag is supposed to be quite good :) (Isn't that the whole reason people race - the t-shirt and the goodie bag?) Since the end of January, I've run over 42 miles and burned over 5,000 calories! The Iron Girl in 2 weeks will be my 5th race - and my 4th one this year! Only 4 more this year to meet my goal.


I like baking. I especially like baking when I'm stressed. Thus, I've been baking my little heart out the past several weeks! I've made Ooey Gooey Good Mess, 2 batches of Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Cupcakes with chocolate frosting, and Apple Cobbler. I follow a baking blog, called Bakerella, and Pillsbury sends me email updates with new recipes weekly! If I could, I'd bake every single day!

Yesterday, I stopped in at a little cookie bakery called Cookies by Design. I was with Andy's mom and we had just finished lunch, and thought a cookie would be just perfect. Well, the bakery is more of a cookie basket type place than a typical bakery, although they did have yummy individual cookies for sale. I looked at their brochure for the price of these baskets... simple 5-9 cookie baskets with typical shapes and awesome piping/frosting jobs... $40 for 5 cookies and the price jumped by 5-10 dollars per additional 2 cookies! As I sat their in awe, I got the overwhelming urge to start a cookie business. I have a great cookie and frosting recipe, thanks to a Tampa friend - Krystal, and have the skills to do basic piping work, and could always take a class to learn more. Really readers, this is something I would LOVE to do!

So then, I was at Krystal's house today and she was talking about the fun of doing freelance work these days (she's a graphics designer) and in the midst of the conversation I mentioned the cookie deal. Well she said if she heard of people who would be interested in cookies for wedding/baby/?? showers or parties she'd gladly pass them my way!! I know I don't have a lot of time right now with working full-time and church stuff, but it would be fun do something I love and find relaxing and get paid for it! Who knows...probably nothing will come of it, but you never know what the future holds.


1 comments:

Candace said...

I have quickly discovered youth ministry is no cake walk. We deal with so much more than most people realize. Bathe us in prayer and we'll be doing the same for you guys!