Wednesday, June 24, 2009

“Is--is he a man?” asked Lucy.



“Aslan a man!” said Mrs. Beaver sternly. “Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-beyond-the-Sea. Don’t you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion--the Lion, the great Lion.”



“Ooh!” said Susan, “I’d thought he was a man. Is he quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion.”



“That you will dearie, and no mistake,” said Mrs. Beaver; “if there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re braver than most or else just silly.”



“Then he isn’t safe?” said Lucy.



“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”



That quote is from the The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I honestly don't remember much of this book, and have never seen the movie. However, I do remember this quote. Periodically I think about it, especially when I'm trying to figure out what in the world God is doing in my life. I thrive on stability and having a sense of security. But God has seen fit to remove those things from this current season of my life. And when I feel like I'm spinning out of control, I'm reminded that life with Christ is not safe, but it is good. He's the King. And the few times when I have gone before God cocky and demanding, when my knees haven't been knocking, I have found, not that I'm brave, but that I'm just silly. I can relate to Lucy and Susan's concern so well. But as we go about life, let us not forget that while life with Christ is not safe, it is oh so good!

0 comments: