Sunday, August 9, 2009

I like to people watch. You might say its almost a hobby of mine. There is something quite fun about watching the way people are dressed, watching the way people walk, talk, etc. For instance, the other day I was at the airport. I saw a girl in her 20's sobbing while on the phone with someone. I wondered, was her boyfriend breaking up with her? Perhaps they were having a fight? Maybe a close family member or friend had gotten in an accident? So many questions were raised just by seeing her crying. Also, I saw a man in his 60's or 70's wearing skinny guy pants, and a very tight shirt that revealed about 2 inches of his midriff. I was 1) horrified and 2) reminded of a quote Andy sometimes says: "Midriffs are a privilege, not a right"...in other words, cover yourself! I asked myself why he would wear that.

Everytime I see a person of interest, for whatever reason, questions are raised in my head. I've never been much of the type of person to ask "Why?" or "How?" I typically just take things as they are, or find the answers for myself. However, when I see interesting people, I often find myself formulating questions in my head.

I can only assume that when people see me, they ask questions in their heads as well. Maybe they ask why I'm limping (because of my crappy joints), or why I'm wearing what I am, or.... fill in the blank. Hopefully one question that people ask when they see me is "What makes her so different?"

I want to be different. I want to be a person who radiates the joy of the Lord. I want to be a person known for her hospitality, known for her compassion, known for her encouragement, known for her passion for life. I want to be different. Going back to the airport scene, I saw so many people that walked by that just scowled, made no eye contact, and just seemed grumpy. In fact, there were only a couple of people in my hour of sitting and observing, that seemed remotely happy with life.

Today in Sunday School we were challenged to radiate Christ. We were challenged to make sure that people imitate us, but not us really - rather Christ living in us. I want that. Daily I strive for it. So often I fall incredibly short. Nonetheless, I continue to strive to radiate Christ, always ready to give a reason for the hope that is within me. What about you?

0 comments: