Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Help

I went to see The Help Sunday night. AMAZING! I haven't read the book yet, because I never like the movie if I've read the book. So, now I can read the book :) Anyway, the story is phenomenal. Such a powerful movie about the importance of talking to people, truly talking, and connecting with those that may seem different regardless of race, class, or any other issue. The movie made me cry - I don't cry in movies. But I was moved: we have come so far from the 50's and 60's in so many ways, yet in other ways we still have just as much of a fear of people that we don't understand. I left with a greater heart to love others and to make it a point to be interested in people's lives.

It was weird when the movie ended. As Andy and I sat and waited for the theater to empty out, we saw people who looked like they had been bored to tears, people that looked irritated that the movie was long (2 1/2 hrs), and I heard a older teenage kid say as he walked by that the movie was absolutely ridiculous. People missed it, it seemed. They missed the point of the movie which wasn't to be entertained. The point of the movie was to stir within us the desire to look beyond ourselves and do what is right regardless of the cost!

So, please, go see the movie, but don't miss the message...

0 comments: