Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Weary - 1. physically or mentally exhausted by hard work, exertion, strain, etc.; fatigued; tired: weary eyes; a weary brain.
2. characterized by or causing fatigue: a weary journey.
3. impatient or dissatisfied with something (often followed by of ): weary of excuses.
4. characterized by or causing impatience or dissatisfaction; tedious; irksome: a weary wait.

Yesterday the full impact of my weariness hit me. We have been on a long, tedious, irksome, fatigue-inducing journey for over 2 years now. Yesterday, I took my frustration and spewed it - with the poor husband getting the brunt of it. It came out of nowhere and he was surprised. Poor thing. But as I woke up this morning, I was reminded that the Lord sees my weariness. He sees my pain and frustration. He knows my dissatisfaction. And He is doing something about it! As the rain started pouring on my way in to work, I was reminded that God is with me. He loves me.

I park in the cheap parking lot at the University where I work. Cheaper means walk further, which normally is ok. But today, as the rain poured and I felt ill-prepared without my rain boots, and my pant legs wouldn't stay rolled up, the rain was frustrating. My pants and sandals got soaked! I kept stepping in puddles and the rain splashed up high! By the time I made it my 3/4 mile treck into work, I was soggy and gross. But then I remembered Psalm 68:9 - "You sent abundant rain, O God,to refresh the weary land."

My heart my feel soggy and like its being dragged through puddles. But this rain that I'm looking at as overwhelming and one more miserable thing, might just be God trying to refresh my weary heart. Perhaps the very things that I am dreading over the next week or two because I'm already so tired - a 12hr "day" trip with our students, coffee tonight with a girl who's having a rough time, leading a women's Bible study, etc. - maybe those are the things being sent my way to refresh my weary heart, if only I'll let it.

So today, if you're weary and worn like I am please join with me in seeking rest from the Lord. No matter how exhausted we may be, let us be reminded "Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."

1 comments:

Natalie said...

I love you so much Roe, your words and your heart are beautiful.